Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pete and Repeat were riding their bikes

Seville calls itself a city, the capital of Andalusia but I will tell you riding your bike you run into the same people day after day. I can honestly say that I recognise all of the homeless people of Seville and when they suddenly disappear, I begin to think, where did Pete go? The woman on the corner that sold tissues for over a year has been missing for 6 months now. I always hope that she is well and has just found a more lucrative corner to sell her merchandise. Unknowingly, she offered me inspiration to face my job. Who are these people that we repeatedly pass? We know them by face but not by name. In a way, we share our day to day lives and sometimes they touch our hearts or just make us think.

I saw Bearded Barney yesterday and thought, there he is Bearded Barney. He is a funny looking, old, bearded guy that I often pass on the bike. He also rides his bike, but is a rebel against the bike lane and is usually found midst the traffic. He looks like he should be navigating the ship in the Gorton's fish sticks commercial. Maybe for this he is more at ease in the crashing waves of traffic than in the "steady stream" of the bike lane. This morning he made a hissing sound at me from across the road. Most girls hate this but, it touched me that he noticed me and made me begin to think of the random people I cross every day. Did they remember me as I did them? Do they think, oh, there goes the girl with the orange panties that always is being hit by cars?

This blog is dedicated to Beared Barney. Thanks for the inspiration. HSSSSSS and Kisses.

No comments: