Friday, September 7, 2007

Did you stop? No - I just drove by

I have to admit in the morning I press the snooze bar at least three times until I get myself finally on two feet. I believe in personal hygiene. So, my morning routine does consist in brushing teeth and putting on clothes that don't smell. However, much more than this is pushing it. Five to ten minutes late is the norm leaving the house. I get on the elevator, pick out the eye boogs and notice the sheet impressions on my face as evidence that just 10 minutes ago I was still in bed. By the time I get downstairs to get Millie from the garage, I am not much more awake than I was 10 minutes ago. I hop on my bike and ascend the 2 ramps in my garage. These days it is still a bit dark as I leave so I am careful pulling out to the oncoming traffic.

Today was not the first time that someone has yelled at me half laughing, "Wake up" but it was the first time the car slowed and rolled down the window to follow me making comments for more than a block. They were two young guys. In New Jersey, where I am from, we call these folk guidos. When I was younger, they would frequent mall and movie theatre parking lots, driving back and forth in camaros looking for stupid girls that didn't know any better. They usually sported a Mr. T starter kit gold chain. I know you know the type because every culture and every generation has them. Here in Seville they are called "Canis". So there they where, two canis, yelling "hey girl wake up", holding up the morning traffic behind them. What was a gal to do? I noticed their red light ahead and since bikes in my opinion can go any where, I sped up to leave them at the light. As I passed them, since there was no wet carp to be found to flog them with, I settled for flipping them the bird as I left them in traffic to wait for their light to turn green. Who has the last laugh now, suckers?

No comments: